The American Materia Medica, Therapeutics and Pharmacognosy, 1919, was written by Finley Ellingwood, M.D.
- Chapter I. Sedatives Commonly Used in the Control of Fevers—Antipyretics.
- Chapter II. Sedatives commonly used in the control of pain—Anodynes, analgesics.
- Chapter III. Sedatives used to induce sleep.
- Chapter IV. Sedatives used for their influence on general nervous irritability—Inorganic Nerve Sedatives.
- Chapter V. Minor nerve sedatives.
- Chapter VI. Depressants used to induce general and local anaesthesia—Anaesthetics.
- Chapter VII. Sedatives that are especially useful in diseases of women—Emmenagogues, ecbolics, oxytocics.