A LITTLE shrub frequent in the East Indies, and very beautiful, as well as useful. It grows ten or fifteen feet high; the branches are brittle, and the wood is white. The leaves are long and narrow, not at all notched at the edges, and of a beautiful green on both sides; the flowers are huge and white, and somewhat resemble those of the rose bay, or nerim, of which some make it a kind. Each flower is succeeded by two large pods, which are joined at the ends. and twist one about the other; they are full of a cottony matter about the seeds. The whole plant is full of a milky juice, which it yields plentifully when broken.
The bark is the only part used; it is but newly introduced into medicine, but may be had of the druggists; it is an excellent remedy for purgings. It is to be given in powder for three or four days, and a vomit or bleeding before the use of it, as may be found necessary.
The Family Herbal, 1812, was written by John Hill.