A COMMON wild plant and a very pretty one, with glossy leaves, creeping stalks, and blue flowers; it is frequent in damp woods. The stalks, when they rise up to bear the flowers, are eight or ten inches high, square, of a pale green colour, often a little purplish; and have two leaves at every joint, the joints being somewhat distant. These leaves are of the same form with those which rise immediately from the root; oblong, broad, blunt at the point, and of a deep green colour, sometimes also a little purplish, and are slightly indented round the edges. The flowers are small and of a beautiful blue, in shape like those of betony; they grow in a sort of circles round the upper pint of the stalks, forming a kind of loose spikes. The cups remain when the flowers are gone, and hold the seeds.
The juice of this plant is esteemed good for inward bruises; it is a very good diuretic.
The Family Herbal, 1812, was written by John Hill.