Date: Sun, 5 May 1996 12:11:46 -0400
To: The Culinary Herbs & Spices List <HERBS.HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM>
From: "Janice D. Seals" <DianeTN5.AOL.COM>
Subject: Herb Butter (Sage and More)
Basic Recipe for Herb Butter
1/2 pound(2 sticks) unsalted butter
5 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs and/or herb flowers,
or 5 teaspoons dried herbs or 2 1/2 teaspoons herb seeds.
1 teaspoon lemon juice or a few gratings of lemon zest (optional)
Salt and white pepper to taste or dry mustard, paprika, cumin (optional)
Chop the herbs very fine or pulverize the seeds. Cream the butter and blend in the herbs and seasonings. Shape as desired and chill or freeze up to 6 months.
Makes 1/2 pound.
- Dill, mustard seed, parsley, and a touch of lemon rind or a few mustard seeds for fish and potatoes.
- Thyme, garlic, chives, oregano, and parsley for tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant or beef.
- Sage, parsley and chives for chicken, veal, rice, and pasta.
- Tarragon or fennel, lemon zest, and parsley for fish, chicken, or eggs.
- Chives, mint, and chervil for fish, tomatoes, carrots, peas.
- Basil and garlic for lamb, chicken, or fish.
- Salad burnet, garlic chives, and parsley for potatoes, tomatoes, veal, salmon.
- Savory, marjoram, and parsley for beans, veal, beef, corn.
- Caraway seed and parsley for cabbage, carrots, potatoes, and bread.
- Aniseed, grated ginger, and orange zest for pork, chicken, or carrots.
- Cilantro, cumin, parsley, and dried red or fresh jalapeno pepper for a taste of the Southwest on rice, chicken, pork, potatoes, peas, or corn.
- Basil, tomato paste, and oregano for fish, chicken, pasta, and rice.
- Rosemary, chives, parsley, and garlic for potatoes, rice, pasta, beef, veal, chicken.
- Tarragon, chives, chervil, and white wine for fish, chicken, or eggs.
- Basil, thyme, and parsley for bread, vegetables, tuna, salmon, and shrimp.
- Anise hyssop, parsley, and chives for fish, chicken, veal.
- Mint, garlic, and parsley for lamb, mussels, swordfish, chicken, peas, carrots, green beans, or eggs.
- Rosemary, savory, thyme, oregano, marjoram, lavender, and garlic for grilled meats.
- Calendula petals, chives, and parsley for chicken, rice, or eggs.
- Scented geranium, rose, or pinks for toast, scones, waffles.
For a pretty presentation, cut herb butters into decorative shapes and garnish or wrap a block of butter in rose geranium leaves and let stand overnight to absorb their sweet flavor.
"The Herbal Pantry" by Emelie Tolley and Chris Mead
Culinary herb FAQ: http://www.henriettesherbal.com/faqs/culi-4-5-butter.html